Wednesday, September 14, 2005

FUNDRAISING UPDATE
CURRENT: $600, GOAL: $6350

I have been pestering the program director in Uganda with all sorts of questions. I think she may be frustrated but I would like as much information as possible to prepare myself to teach these kids.
Here is what I have learned...the students will range in age from 5 to 15 years old. I am allowed to teach whatever subjects I feel comfortable teaching with an emphasis on math and english. Somehow I don't think my years of teaching American History and World History (from an American textbook) are going to do me much good in smalltown, Uganda. The teaching skills themselves might, subject matter-maybe not.
My schoolteacher friend Jill has offered to help me out...I will go in with some basic lesson plans and whatever else I can think of. My other schoolteacher friend Erin has suggested a class pen-pal exchange, I love it-what a great idea. Apparently Erin has made the giraffe her class mascot because it has the largest heart of all the land animals-so I'm supposed to hunt down giraffes and take pictures with them. Can you ride a giraffe?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home