Tuesday, October 04, 2005

FUNDRAISING UPDATE
CURRENT: $1425, GOAL: $6350

It cracks me up when someone refers to my blog in conversation. For some reason, I was convinced that no one actually read it. Now I feel like I need to step it up and use proper grammar. I've written to a magazine and a newspaper requesting sponsorship and they may use this as a writing sample. Yikes.
I've definitely been putting sponsorship requests out into the universe and it feels as if I need to step back a bit and let things unfold as they will. Walk with faith maybe. Every day after work I throw my gear down and run to the mailbox to check for responses-on one hand I love how much I care about this. On the other hand, I feel obsessed.
I cannot remember another moment in my life when I had a goal that was so huge to me. This experience is bringing it home to me that something overwhelming is much more manageable when taken one step at a time. I think applying to college was sort of like this, then applying to study abroad...I guess I've done things similar but never with the fundraising element thrown in. And it seems that there was always guidance along the way, people telling me exactly what I needed to do and giving me deadlines. This is sort of me-organized, which is scary and exciting.
I've been asking myself alot lately, why am I doing this? I've been substitute teaching and each day I interact with young people. Some of these kids break my heart-I wonder how different they would be if they just had one person completely behind them, loving them senseless, giving them encouragement and guidance, accepting them as they are. I want to give them some of that. So why Africa? I did plan on teaching in Sacramento but I could not find a contract...but that's only part of the reason I want to teach in Africa. Africa calls to me and I don't know why. I can't even say when I started wanting to go there but I was rereading a journal from 1994 and I was already writing about it then. This doesn't always make sense. Does a plan have to make complete sense to be good?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home