Tuesday, January 03, 2006

FUNDRAISING UPDATE
CURRENT: $6500

UNBELIEVABLE!!! We did it, I officially have enough money to cover the program fees for 6 months. Have you ever felt something was almost impossible, especially for you...then it was accomplished anyway? That's how this feels, unreal and so amazingly cool. I'm going. This is happening. This is real.

I leave in 23 days to embark on this crazy adventure. I have no idea what to expect, what exactly I'll be doing, where I'll be living, who I'll be spending time with...most of it is pretty foggy and I've never been more excited.

Thank you Diaz, Double D, Esme, Jeannamarie, Aunty Di and Uncle Chris, Carol, Meredith and Rebecca. A Thousand Thank You's!

I'm starting to pack my gear, just got a list of what to bring (including a mosquito net-how dramatic!), still need to decide which 20 or so books I want to take. This feels like an incredibly important decision, so any book recommendations or suggestions are appreciated.

So far... Rich Dad, Poor Dad, Guns, Germs and Steel, The Bookseller of Kabul and Emma's War have all made it. I just finished The Kite Runner, awesome read and gives a nice window view into Afghanistan pre-Taliban and during.

Seriously, please send book recommendations to lnewth@hotmail.com.

On a more serious note, Uganda is experiencing some political strife. They are having their first multiparty elections in February. Their president since 1986 (or 89) is not willing to leave without a fight, the popular opposition leader has been arrested and rioting has occurred in the capital of Kampala. I will be at least a 1/2 hour away from Kampala and imagine quite safe. Watching a country struggle to develop and practice democracy should be very interesting and I'm looking forward to it. The program director sent an email suggesting I take a short safari to Kenya during the election days-what an idea, to wander off on a quick safari to avoid possible mayhem...toto, we're not in Kansas anymore and my head is spinning!

More updates to come.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home