Friday, October 07, 2005

FUNDRAISING UPDATE
CURRENT: $1895, GOAL:$6350

My very thoughtful friend Ryan just sent me a Lugandan phrase book. Lugandan is one of the official languages of Uganda(the other is English). What a great gift. I am looking forward to learning this language that is unlike any I am familiar with.
I subbed for my mentor teacher Dave today. He works with SDAIE kids (english is their second language), many of whom have just recently been transplanted to the States. They had to read out loud and I was so impressed with their willingness to dive into a foreign language-I wonder if they even know how awesome it is that they can speak a second language. I studied German, spent a semester in Germany in 1998. The amount of German I learned in the 6 months I lived there was 3 times as much as I'd learned in 3 years at SC. Speaking in another language (albeit very poorly) was a thrill for me. It opened up this whole other world for me and it made me think about what I was saying. That is not something I do all the time-think about what I'm saying. I wonder how often I would actually speak if I only said things I had truly thought about before saying them.
THANK YOU RICH AND ALISON (THE NEWLYWEDS), TOM AND HEATHER (JORDAN AND THE NEW LITTLE ONE TOO) AND RYAN.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home